Run Club president to compete in Muncie Ironman competition

It is once again time for the annual Ironman competition. The Ironman 70.3 triathlon competition will be taking place July 9 in the Prairie Creek Reservoir in Muncie.

This race will consist of a 1.2-mile swim, a 56-mile bike cycle and 13.1-mile run. The purpose of this competition is to test the limits, strength and endurance of all the competitors. 

Participants will travel over miles and miles of rural Indiana landscape, but the competitors who succeed in this year's race will qualify for 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Davon Geiger, a Ball State student and current Ball State Runners' Association president, will be competing in the Muncie Ironman competition for the third time. He likes to compete in these types of races because of the pure enjoyment that comes from all the physical challenges, as well as the empowering feeling of self-building confidence.

"There is no feeling like crossing a finish line after five and a half hours of nonstop moving," Geiger said. "It's a feeling I could never describe to its full potential, and it keeps bringing me back for more."

Geiger hopes to qualify for the World Championship, but for now he's more focused on just enjoying himself and being faster than he was last year.

After this competition, Geiger will be attending the Ironman competition in Ohio, which will begin in August. He will have the full support and encouragement of the Ball State Runners' Association. 

The Runners' Association got involved last year when the previous president, Nicholas Nordmann, thought it would be a fun way to raise money for the club. 

Last year, the BSRA won best aid station for its efforts. The members were in charge providing all of the race participants will vital essentials such as food, drinks and sunscreen.

Kendra Storz, a Ball State student and volunteer captain, said they will be providing aid and support once again this year. The team will be there all day to provide help wherever help is needed. 

"The Ironman is an amazing race that tests the competitors' physical and mental strength, and it's great to watch and help people complete that feat," Storz said. "[Watching the competition] is very rewarding and inspirational."