Dog bakery focuses on healthy, tasty treats for pets

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF GOURMINI DOG BAKERY FACEBOOK</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF GOURMINI DOG BAKERY FACEBOOK

Gourmini Dog Barkery

Where: 2700 N Wheeling Ave 

Hours: 12-5 p.m. Monday through Friday

Walking into the bakery at 2700 N Wheeling Ave., customers are greeted with the smells of freshly baked treats such as banana crème wafers, apple caramel donuts with sprinkles and grandma’s apple pie.

But these treats aren’t for humans — they are for their furry companions.

Gourmini Dog Barkery was a concept owner Juanis Kirksey thought Muncie could have a use for.

“There are a lot of dog owners here in Muncie and in the Midwest,” Kirksey said. “People treat their pets more like their children. I knew there was a market and other big cities doing it, so I thought, 'Why not launch a dog bakery?'”

While Kirksey saw an opportunity to open a business, he also wanted to fulfill his passion for cooking. He attended Inside Out culinary program in Muncie and took baking classes at Ivy Tech.

Some of the recipes Kirksey uses for his dog treats he found online, but many treats he created himself.

When creating treats, Kirksey follows specific guidelines of what is good for dogs and, more importantly, what is bad for them.

“I’m being careful about what I’m putting in the dog treats because it may hurt the dog or sometimes it shortens their lives,” Kirksey said. “What I’m trying to do is provide something where people can not only be educated about do’s and don’ts of what to give their dogs … [but also] help prolong the life of the dog.”

Some foods that are dangerous for dogs to ingest include grapes, raisins, chocolate and dairy products.

So far, the treats at Gourmini have had positive reviews from owners and their dogs.

“I’ve had some Facebook reviews that talk about how dogs didn’t used to listen until they had my treats, and now they listen,” Kirksey said.

Ball State student Ellis Evans visited the bakery when it was time to celebrate his bulldog Sir’s birthday on June 6.

“They have a wide selection, and the owner will work with you on big orders,” Evans said.

His order for Sir’s party included 22 muffins and a donut, with flavors including caramel, peanut butter and yogurt.

“Sir loved them,” Evans said. “Even some of the pickier dogs gave the icing a try.”

While Evans had a good experience with the bakery, he worries more dog owners will not know about the business.

“A lot of people are oblivious to Gourmini Barkery,” he said. "Some people pass it daily but have no clue it’s there.”

Kirksey gets the word out about his unique bakery through social media and community events, such as the Canan Commons and Makers Market event.

Kirksey hopes to expand his store to include items for cats in the near future.