Three DIY ways to repurpose old T-shirts

DN PHOTO SABRINA SCHNETZER
DN PHOTO SABRINA SCHNETZER

Want some new looks for summer without breaking the bank? Instead of throwing out your old T-shirts, make them into some cute do-it-yourself projects for the summer.

Crop top

What you need:

Painter’s tape

Scissors

Old T-shirt

Writing utensil

Instructions:

1. Put on T-shirt and make a mark with a writing utensil where you want to cut the shirt.
  2. Lay the shirt on a flat surface and put painter’s tape straight across along the marked line.
  3. Cut the shirt along the tape. Leave about four inches in the middle of the shirt uncut.
  4. Cut perpendicular to the tape in the center of the shirt. Then cut in a diagonal from the center to create two right triangles. This will allow you to tie the front of the shirt.
  5. Cut off the collar and sleeves, if desired.

Fringe purse

What you need:

Scissors

Painter’s tape

Old T-shirt

Ruler

Writing utensil

Instructions:

1. Put T-shirt on flat surface. Measure five inches from the bottom. Place painter’s tape straight across the shirt. Make one-inch marks on the tape across the shirt.
  2. Cut up the shirt to the tape, making sure you are following the marks.
  3. Pull on the fringe, then tie the front and back in double knots to create the bottom of the bag.
  4. Cut off the sleeves and collar. Separate the front and the back of the shirt at the top by cutting it with scissors. Tie the front sides together and then the back sides together. These are the handles of the bag.

Headband

What you need:

Scissors

Hair band

Old T-shirt

Instructions:

1. Cut off the hemline of the shirt and three thin strips at the bottom.
  2. Tie the strips to a hair band. Braid the three strands together.
  3. Check to see if the braid is able to wrap around your head. If it can, then tie the other end of the braid to the hair band.
  4. Cut off any excess strip.