Ball State releases fall sports schedules, updates football start times

Waving flags at the beginning of the basketball game, members of the cheerleading team try to get the crowd excited during the start of the basketball game. Ball State University played Bowling Green on Saturday, Feb. 14. DN PHOTO Jason Conerly

Links to the full schedules

Football

Soccer

Women's volleyball

Field hockey

This week, Ball State released schedules for soccer, women's volleyball and field hockey, while also finalizing the start times for most of its football games.

Here are a few games to watch out for:

Football

Saturday, Sept. 10 at Indiana in Bloomington, Ind. at 12 p.m.

Ball State hasn’t played Indiana since 2012, but the two teams are scheduled to play in 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020. The Hoosiers are 23-4 all-time against the Cardinals, but Ball State has won the last three meetings.

Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Eastern Kentucky at 3 p.m. (Family Weekend)

The Cardinals will play their first home game of the season against Eastern Kentucky of the Football Championship Subdivision. Ball State is 0-3 all-time against Eastern Kentucky, but the teams haven’t played since 1970, when Ball State was still in the Small College Division (the precursor to Division II and III)

Saturday, Oct. 22 – vs. Akron at 3 p.m. (Homecoming)*

Ball State has won five straight games against Akron. Last year, however, the two schools didn’t play and the Zips had their first winning record since 2005 and won their first-ever bowl game – the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Soccer

Sunday, Sept. 4 at Loyola Marymount (15-6-1, 7-2-0 West Coast Conference)

The second game of the Cardinals’ September trip to Southern California, Loyola Marymount rode the momentum from its second-place finish in the West Coast Conference to the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Sunday, Sept. 25 vs. Akron (6-13-2, 3-8-0 MAC)

Though the Cardinals only lost one regular season Mid-American Conference match last season, Akron – the lowest seed in the MAC Tournament – knocked Ball State out of the MAC quarterfinals. After forcing a 0-0 tie at the end of regulation, the Zips won on penalty kicks, 4-3.

Thursday, Oct. 6 vs. Western Michigan (14-5-4, 8-1-2 MAC)

Western Michigan was the only MAC team to beat the Cardinals in the regular season and went on to win the conference tournament.

Women's volleyball

Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Ohio State (25-10, 12-8 Big Ten)
Ball State will host the Ohio State Buckeyes on Family Weekend. The Buckeyes finished sixth in the Big Ten and advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

Saturday, October 15 vs. Ohio (25-8, 13-3 MAC)

The Cardinals lost in five sets on the road against MAC Tournament champion Ohio University last season. The Bobcats will travel to Worthen Arena this season.

Saturday, November 12 vs. Northern Illinois (19-11, 14-2 MAC)

Northern Illinois won the MAC regular season championship after losing just two games against conference opponents – one of which was a straight-set sweep by the Cardinals.

Field Hockey

Saturday, Aug. 20 vs. Indiana (scrimmage)
Though it is not an official game, it will be the only chance to see the Cardinals play before October because the Cardinals play 11 consecutive road games to start the season.

Monday, Oct. 3 vs. Ohio State (9-10, 4-4 Big Ten)
Ball State’s home opener will be its fourth game against a Big Ten opponent, and is one of just five home games the team will play all season.

Sunday, Oct. 23 vs. Miami (12-8, 5-1 MAC)

The Redhawks tied for the MAC Championship last season, but missed out on the conference’s bid to the NCAA Tournament because of its head-to-head loss to Kent State.