5 common on-campus jobs

Working on-campus can provide students different benefits compared to working an off-campus job. While 20 hours per week is the maximum students can work, work hours are generally flexible and employers work around students' class schedules. 

Ball State employs students in several areas and roles all across campus. During freshman orientation, students visit the Career Center in Lucina Hall. They will learn step-by-step how to get the on-campus job they're looking for. 

New jobs are available all the time, so students should check Cardinal Career Link frequently for new postings. 

Here are five common on-campus jobs and what responsibilities they have:

Office or student assistant – students do not have to work in the office of the college that they are majoring in. Duties include typing, running errands, filing and stuffing envelopes. 

This could be great business experience and some positions might allow students to work on homework in their downtime. 

Desk/night staff – every residence hall has a desk and night staff who are responsible for sorting mail, answering questions, taking messages and other duties. 

Expect a lot of interaction with hall directors and residents of the residence hall. This could be a good position for outgoing students. 

Group exercise instructor – can lead classes in areas such as Zumba, yoga, cycling and pilates through Ball State's Fit Classes at Jo Ann Gora Recreation and Wellness Center and Ball Gymnasium. Students must be American Red Cross CPR/AED and first aid certified.

This is a great way to stay in shape while making some cash too.

Tutor – classes in various subjects sometimes look for student tutors. Tutoring involves meeting one-on-one or in small groups with students.

This can be great experience for education majors, but also for anyone wanting to improve their ability to teach others.

Dining – employees serve, prepare and stock food in the various dining halls. Starbucks also hires students as baristas.

Working in Dining Services would mean being around a lot of people and being around a lot of food.