Students take theater talents to Indianapolis

<p>Two Ball State students will be in the Jekyll and Hyde production&nbsp;at Footlite&nbsp;Musicals in Indianapolis. The show opens on July 8. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF FOOTLITE MUSICALS</em></p>

Two Ball State students will be in the Jekyll and Hyde production at Footlite Musicals in Indianapolis. The show opens on July 8. PHOTO COURTESY OF FOOTLITE MUSICALS

Performances are July 8-10, 14-17 and 21-24, with Thursday, Friday and Saturday performances at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday performances at 2:30 p.m.

Tickets for Friday, Saturday and Sunday performances are $23 for adults and $15 for youth 17 and younger. Thursday and First Sunday performances are $10. All tickets can be purchased at footlite.org . The theater is located at 1847 N Alabama St, Indianapolis, IN 46202.

Ball State students will soon be taking the stage in Indianapolis as a part of "Jekyll and Hyde" at Footlite Musicals.

"Jekyll and Hyde" has been one of junior public communications and theatrical studies major Hannah Janowicz’s favorite shows, and she was cast as an ensemble member for the production. She has been performing since age 10.

“This is the first 'dark' show I’ve really done. Most of the plays I participated in had been more upbeat and comedic, whereas this show offers a more macabre feel, which is honestly more my style," Janowicz said. “This show has been really vocally challenging, as the ensemble’s music is more operatic.”

The production has been both fun and challenging, but the reward for Janowicz is knowing she is contributing to the production as a whole.

“Even when you are playing the smallest of parts, the overall piece of art you create affects each person in the audience differently,” she said. “It’s wonderful to know I am a part of that.”

Janowicz said audience members can expect multifaceted characters, intense musical numbers and blood in the show.

Sophomore theatrical studies major Tayler Seymour is playing an upper-class woman in the show's ensemble. She found out about the audition opportunity through a Facebook page.

Her first performance outside of her hometown was this past April, where she performed in "Mary Poppins" at the Muncie Civic Theatre. 

Through doing live theater, Seymour has learned to adapt to change and continue to find different ways to tell the story.

“Compared to other things I've done in the past, everyone is on an almost professional level in this show," Seymour said. "We had Bradley Reynolds, who is the producer from 'Something Rotten' on Broadway, come in and speak to us during a rehearsal. He told us the only things different between professional acting and non-professional acting is getting paid and the time of day you rehearse. I think by the time we open we will have a professional-level show."