Six signs you stayed in Muncie this summer

<p><em>DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Most students have put away the books and headed back home for the summer, but not all of them.

Whether it’s to continue working in the area or to take summer classes, there are many students who have stayed in Muncie for the summer break. So, what’s it like staying in the area once the spring semester is over?

"Standing in [line] at places is a lot easier. There's no more two-hour wait at places.” – Rebecca Sampson, a senior psychology major

Fewer students means less busyness. Places like the Village, which is usually populated with students, have died down a bit, and on a Friday night, it’s much easier to get a table at your favorite restaurant or into your favorite bar.

"After the summer you’re going to memorize where every pothole is." – Cecelia Westbrook, a junior English and German major

Though the potholes won’t get fixed overnight, they can be a bit of a hassle for those driving around town a lot, and since many students here for the summer are spending their time traveling to jobs and stores off campus, it's a feeling they know all too well.

"There is lot more stuff to do outside of campus. Before, when school was going, I would go out once a week, but now I leave my apartment more than I used to." – Hannah Christie, a junior computer science major

This summer students are using some of their free time to see what's around Muncie. Whether it's going to the farm stand or exploring downtown, summer is the perfect opportunity to get out of the "campus bubble" a bit.

“It's really empty driving through the Scramble Light. You don't have to wait for a billion people to walk through." – Sampson

Because there are way fewer students, the Scramble Light doesn’t get cluttered with everyone trying to walk at once, making it much quicker to drive through campus, though you may get a few angry stares if traffic has to stop for just you specifically. 

“There are no more fraternity or sorority parties. Of course there's a party somewhere, but they aren't as loud as they use to be.” – Westbrook

The area around campus is much quieter, especially without several parties on the weekends. This is probably great for non-students living in the area, but a strange change for the students who are still there.

"There's more people than I thought it would be, the energy is still around. We still are able to have fun [this summer]." – Emily Motsinger, a sophomore architecture major

Campus isn’t a complete ghost town. Now that summer classes are in full swing, some of the hustle and bustle of students hanging out and going to class is back.