MidWest Home for Pets to host 3rd annual Bark For Life

<p>MidWest Homes for Pets is hosting Bark for Life of Delaware County on May 21 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Morrow's Meadow Park.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">PHOTO COURTESY OF BARK FOR LIFE FACEBOOK</i></p>

MidWest Homes for Pets is hosting Bark for Life of Delaware County on May 21 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Morrow's Meadow Park. PHOTO COURTESY OF BARK FOR LIFE FACEBOOK

Schedule for the Bark for Life Event: 

9 a.m. – Registration and silent auction open

9:45 a.m. – Welcome

9:55 a.m. – Opening Ceremony

10 a.m. – Walk begins

10:30 a.m. – Obedience and barn hunt demo

10:45 a.m. – Doggie Costume Contest

11 a.m. – Musical Sit Contest

11:15 a.m. – Agility demo & open course

11:30 a.m. – Silent auction ends

11:50 a.m. – Closing remarks

Information provided by acsevents.org. 

Dogs and their humans will be coming together with the American Cancer Society to celebrate cancer survivorship and to honor those who have lost the fight in the third annual Bark for Life event this weekend.

MidWest Homes for Pets is hosting Bark for Life of Delaware County which will be from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. May 21 at Morrow's Meadow Park. 

The event is a fundraiser that honors the care-giving qualities of our canine “best friends,” according to relay.acsevents.org. It presents an opportunity for people to be empowered through their canine companions and contribute to cancer cures through the mission of the American Cancer Society.

“Bark for Life is a companion event for Relay for Life and is all about celebrating dogs and the role that they can play in someone’s cancer diagnosis,” co-organizer Tara Whitehead said. “Dogs provide healing qualities to people who are going through cancer and other struggles.”

The event is all about families and their dogs by spreading awareness, honoring those who have been lost to cancer and continuing to fight back against the disease, which Whitehead said has hit close to home for both her and her company.

“Cancer is a personal thing for [MidWest Homes for Pets],” Whitehead said. “About six years ago, we become affected by cancer quite a bit. We had several people become diagnosed, and we even lost someone last year to the disease.”

Because cancer was affecting them, she said the company decided to do something positive about it.

“Since dogs are our business, we decided it would be great to team up with the American Cancer Society and help spread awareness on what dogs can do for us and then celebrate the healing and comfort they bring to people in the worst of times,” Whitehead said.

Anyone can get involved with all of the family-friendly events. The only rule is that all dogs must be on a leash at all times throughout the day.

Registration will begin at 9 a.m. It costs $20 for one dog, $5 for each additional dog and will be free to all humans. Along with registration, participants will be given complimentary Bark For Life T-shirts, doggie bandanas and "Bark Swag Bags" while supplies last.

Registration fees, sponsorships and silent auction proceeds go directly to the American Cancer Society.

“We have about 200 people in mind now to participate in the event, but we hope to see even more members of the community come out and show their support to these dogs and to those who have been affected by cancer,” Whitehead said.