Apathy Wizards hosting vinyl release party

<p><em>DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN</em></p>

DN PHOTO MICHELLE KAUFMAN

What: Apathy Wizards vinyl release party

When: 8 p.m. May 28

Where: Be Here Now

Cover: $5 if wearing an Apathy Wizards shirt, $7 without

A band made up of mostly Ball State alumni is returning to Muncie to celebrate the release of its first vinyl album.

The band will be performing at 8 p.m. May 28 at Be Here Now to celebrate the album's release along with four other bands — Front Royal, Francis Wreck, The 4% and The Ex-Bombers.

The Apathy Wizards formed in 2010 after Thor Goodman, frontman and mandolin player, was struggling with insomnia. He decided to start writing songs and had some casual jam sessions in the basement of Ball State’s dorms and outside of LaFollette Complex.

No one in the group expected anything out of the jam sessions. For them, the sessions were a way to procrastinate on homework. But soon, the band started getting asked to play at house parties and then got more frequent gigs.

“We didn’t know what to do," Goodman said. "Then I thought, ‘We could just do this, this could be our job.'"

The four core members of the group have released four albums previously. Their vinyl "Real Live Human Beings" sounds like “an off kilter radio performance set to an audience,” according to C.D. Tolbert, the band's percussionist. 

The vinyl was recorded in Be Here Now, and Tolbert, who holds a bachelor’s degree in digital audio production from Ball State, was able to help with the production of it.

Although the band is currently based in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, the members wanted to return to Muncie for the vinyl release because of Be Here Now.

“That place gave us a venue to play at and an opportunity to host amazing shows," Tolbert said. "We all have many great musical memories there, from playing shows to seeing killer bands. We recorded our vinyl live in the lower floor, so naturally it will always have a piece of the band's heart. I can't think of better place to throw the vinyl release show.”

The band does not use amplification or a stage in its performances. Tolbert said too much amplification causes the performance to lose intimacy and musical delights, while a stage creates a barrier between the artist and the audience. However, due to the crowd size, Goodman said they may use amplification at the release show.

“[I love] the ability to be as loud and as rambunctious and boisterous as you want," Tolbert said. "It's one of the most cathartic and invigorating things I can think of. To step in front of a crowd of people and show them how you think and feel in a way that a year of conversation couldn't match, and for them to accept and even applaud that display — there is nothing quite like it.”