Ball State softball beats Ohio in doubleheader, completing 3-game sweep

Freshman Amanda Arnett reaches for the ball in the game against Toledo on April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Amanda Arnett game two statistics

Pitching - 1.2 IP 1H 1ER 3BB 1K

Batting - 2-2 2HR (1GS) 6RBI 2R 

In the first game, freshman catcher Madison Lee led the Cardinals' offense, going 2-3 and scoring two runs.

Senior pitcher Nicole Steinbach led the way on the mound, going the full seven innings letting in two runs on five hits with four strikeouts. This came after her seven-inning performance the day before, as she collected her team-leading 13th win of the season.

“We did a good job of sticking to our plan and playing Ball State softball,” Steinbach said.

She also got the save in the second game, entering the game for sophomore Carolyn Wilmes in the seventh inning.

Ohio’s Savannah Dorsey once again went stride for stride with Steinbach in the first game on April 2, but she allowed one too many runs after pitching for six innings, allowing 3 runs on five hits.

In a game that would see her start at pitcher and finish at first base, junior Amanda Arnett led the Cardinals' offense in the second game. She went 2-2 with two home runs, one of which was a grand slam in her six-RBI performance. 

“I’ve been hitting the ball in the air a lot lately, so I just got up there and tried to keep it low, and it went out,” Arnett said. “I was just trying to get a base hit and score some runs. In RBI time you just have to get the ball in play.”

Ohio would mount a close comeback after a few innings of hail, snow and wind that would cause a brief weather delay. The Bobcats scored 4 runs in the final two innings before falling to Steinbach’s 1-2-3 save.

The win put Ball State to third place in the Mid-American Conference West Division with a 3-3 record in conference play.

Ball State will travel to DeKalb, Ill., next for a two-game set with Northern Illinois (23-9, 4-1 MAC), who sits atop the MAC West standings. The series kicks off at 2 p.m. April 5, with the second game at 4 p.m.