Ball State bats come alive in 13-1 win against Northern Kentucky

Alex Call, a junior outfielder for the Ball State Cardinals, attempts to hit the ball during the game against Bowling Green on April 23. DN PHOTO GRACE RAMEY

Multi-hit Cardinals

Alex Call - 2 hits, 4 RBIs

Alex Maloney - 2 hits

Ryan Spaulding - 2 hits, 1 RBI

Matt Eppers - 2 hits, 2 RBIs

Sean Kennedy - 3 hits, 2 RBIs

Northern Kentucky's one-run lead against Ball State would be quickly diminished as Ball State baseball went on to take the 13-1 victory.

The Cardinals (25-17, 10-5 MAC) notched 12 hits in the win over the Norse (15-27, 4-15 Horizon League) in the victory.

Head coach Rich Maloney was pleased with his team's effort after Ball State dropped five of its last eight games.

“It is good to get back into the win column, no question about it,” Maloney said. “To rebound like we did is very impressive, but that’s how these guys are, they are very resilient.”

In the bottom of the second inning, junior center fielder Matt Eppers tripled to right center and junior third baseman Sean Kennedy hit him in on a sacrifice fly ball to make it 1-1 after two innings of play.

Junior right fielder Alex Call hit the first of his two home runs on the day in the third inning, and he returned the following inning to hit a three-run home run to give the Cardinals a 6-1 lead.

Junior left-handed pitcher Evan Korson started the game for Ball State, going five innings while allowing two hits, one run and striking out seven batters.

He was removed after a 30-minute lightning delay, giving freshman pitcher Nick Floyd his first collegiate appearance.

“I was happy to see [Floyd] out there; he has worked really hard,” Maloney said. “We were contemplating red shirting him, but we decided he was ready, so we brought him in today and he did a nice job.”

Floyd went two innings allowing only one hit and a walk in his debut. 

Freshman infielder Maverick Bacon also made his first college start as a designated hitter. He recorded his first hit after hitting a ground ball up the middle in the fourth inning.

The lightning delay didn't affect Ball State at the plate, as the team went on to score six runs in the sixth inning. 

Ball State had eight different players record at least one RBI against Northern Kentucky with Call leading with four.

With 14 games left in the regular season, Maloney is doing what he can to prepare his team for tournament play.

“We can only take it one game at time, and we will see how many we can rack up,” Maloney said. “Then, we will get ready for the tournament. That is were the prize is.”

Ball State's next game is April 29 when it travels to Buffalo for a three-game series against the Bulls.