Ball State athletics plays host to 6 teams over weekend

<p>DN FILE PHOTO</p>

DN FILE PHOTO

Weekend Schedule

Friday, April 22

Men's tennis vs. Toledo: 2:30 p.m.

Softball vs. Central Michigan: 3 p.m.

Baseball vs. Bowling Green: 3 p.m.

Soccer vs. Grace College: 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, April 23

Softball vs. Central Michigan: 1 p.m., 3 p.m.

Women's tennis vs. Toledo: 1 p.m.

Baseball vs. Bowling Green: 1 p.m.

Football Spring Game: 3 p.m.

Sunday, April 24

Baseball vs. Bowling Green: 1 p.m.

It will be a packed weekend for Ball State athletics as six athletics teams will be at home for 10 contests over the course of the weekend.

Weather will look to comply for the teams throughout the weekend as well. Temperatures in the 60s and 70s will be an opportunity for some teams to draw out a bigger crowd.

“I would suspect that this is the biggest crowd we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Ball State baseball coach Rich Maloney said.

Football

Ball State football will return to action for the first time since November 24. The team's annual Spring Game will feature two former Cardinals as honorary captains and will be head coach Mike Neu's first contest at the helm.

Jeff Hammond (1986-89) and Mark Parris (1989-92) will lead the teams into action during the running clock game. Hammond led the Cardinals to a 1989 Mid-American Conference Championship, while Parris earned two All-MAC accolades at the linebacker position.

The game begins at 3 p.m. at Scheumann Stadium on April 23 with warmups starting at 2:15 p.m.

Baseball

Ball State baseball (23-15) (9-3 MAC) will begin a three-game series with Bowling Green (14-23) (4-8 MAC). Ball State has found success at home this season, winning 10 of their 12 games.

“I think sleeping in your own bed, getting in your regular routine bodes well," Maloney said. "When you do all the traveling that the norther teams have to do, that’s a big disadvantage."

The team will also be celebrating its new ballpark with a ribbon cutting ceremony before the game. 

Maloney said Bowling Green, who is currently No. 4 in the east division of the conference, is still a threat on the field.

“If we want to stay in the hunt, we’ve got to do just that against a Bowling Green team that’s actually playing much better than earlier in the year," Maloney said. "Even though their MAC record isn’t so well, they have been on the rise of late.”

Softball

On the other diamond, Ball State (18-26) (4-11 MAC) will begin a three-game series on Friday night, kicking off a six-game home stand. Ball State will host divisional rival Central Michigan (18-21-1) (5-8-1 MAC). Ball State head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett said the Cardinals will look to gain traction in what has been a difficult season.

“It’s a good opportunity; it’s on our home field, and hopefully just being in front of our family and friends is just going to bring some energy and excitement to the place, so that we can get some momentum going,” she said.

Bartlett said the team loves playing at home because of the atmosphere around the ball park and the field that they get to play on.

With the field being half artificial, it creates more of a home field advantage for the team.

“We’ve had some really beautiful renovations, and I think the field itself is turning into something the kids can be really, really proud of,” Bartlett said. "I think it's a great advantage we play on it every day and we know exactly what the ball is going to do."

Women's tennis

Women’s tennis will close out its regular season on Saturday against Toledo. The team broke its 15-match win streak against Buffalo on April 10, but has regained its stride since then. 

Ball State (19-3) (6-1 MAC) is on the hunt for their 20th win this season, a feat no women’s tennis team has ever done here at Ball State.

Men's tennis

Ball State (11-11) (3-3 MAC) will look to pull ahead of a .500 winning percentage in conference play on Friday against Toledo (7-15) (0-5 MAC). 

The Rockets are currently riding a nine-match losing streak, and will be Ball State’s final competition before the conference tournament as well.

Soccer

Head coach Craig Roberts will lead the soccer team into action for its final spring game against Grace College on Friday.

The Cardinals have played well in spring games, winning both of its home games against Spring Arbor and Tiffin in March.