Office of Victim Services uses social media to raise awareness for SAAM

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month and the Office of Victim Services at Ball State is using social media to help promote awareness of the issue all month.

The Office of Victim Services has posted a different fact about sexual assault almost every day so far this month.

“This month gives us the opportunity to focus on an issue that is very prevalent in the United States and hopefully work to change our society's culture surrounding the topic of sexual violence,” said Sarah Finnegan, graduate assistant in the Office of Victim Services.

Sexual Assault Awareness Month might only last through April, but Finnegan said it is important to remember that it is an issue that occurs all year long.

“Having these months do not take away the fact that these are all important issues throughout the entire year,” Finnegan said, “but it gives individuals a time to focus on specific campaigns.”

The Office of Victim Services’ website lists multiple resources both on and off campus for those who have been victims of sexual assault. It also provides information and advice in all areas of the issue, such as what to do after an assault and how to report an incident.

Step In. Speak Up. is a bystander intervention program at Ball State, which Finnegan believes is key to the awareness and success of prevention efforts on campus.

“Step In. Speak Up. is so much more than just stepping in when there is a situation where we believe assault or rape could happen. It is showing that we are the proof that this issue is still here and needs to be addressed,” said Corinne Lankowicz, a member of the Step In Speak Up program. “The only way we can spread awareness is by speaking about these issues, wanting to make a change.”

Finnegan said these kind of bystander intervention programs are helpful with getting the community involved in important issues.

“Whenever we can help individuals acknowledge that they play an important role in helping prevent violence and give them the strength to intervene in situations, we can help our community learn how to do something instead of just stand by,” Finnegan said.

Anyone can play a role in preventing sexual assault by taking the Step In. Speak Up. pledge online at facebook.com/BSUStepIn.