Downed power lines shuts down Tillotson between Bethel, McGalliard

<p>American Electric Power crews are on the scene of two downed power lines. They are waiting to get clearance before starting work on the lines. DN PHOTO KARA BERG</p>

American Electric Power crews are on the scene of two downed power lines. They are waiting to get clearance before starting work on the lines. DN PHOTO KARA BERG

Tillotson is shut down both ways between Bethel Avenue and McGalliard. Police are blocking off the road. 

American Electric Power should get clearance to start working on the lines within an hour, and should have them fixed an hour after that, said University Police Department Lieutenant Dave Huff. 

AEP crews will have to shut down the high voltage power lines above the ones that went down, which will kill power for some surrounding areas. But the power should only be out for around an hour, Huff said. 

The two downed lines are by the entrance to the First Merchants Ballpark Complex baseball field, across from the Scheumann Stadium parking lot. 

A crew member from American Electric Power said they weren't exactly sure what had happened, but he guessed it was from the storm. He said the wire burned down. 

Crews are waiting on clearance from AEP to start working on the wires. The crew member did not have a timeline of when the roads would be back open, or when the wires would be fixed. 

AEP's outage map doesn't show any power outages as of 8:05 p.m. 

Ball State's emergency notification said to stay away from the area if possible.