College Mentors for Kids introduces talent show

<p>This will be the first year for the College Mentors for Kids talent show. There are ten acts&nbsp;and all proceeds go to the organization to pay for activities with the little buddies.&nbsp;</p>

This will be the first year for the College Mentors for Kids talent show. There are ten acts and all proceeds go to the organization to pay for activities with the little buddies. 

The College Mentors for Kids talent show will be in Pruis Hall on April 10 at 4 p.m. Tickets are $5 in advance or $7 at the door. Contact alzhang@bsu.edu for more information. 

Check out these videos to learn more about College Mentors for Kids.

While it’s not America’s Got Talent or The X Factor, students can showcase their talent this weekend to raise money for College Mentors for Kids. The Ball State chapter is holding its first talent show Sunday.

College Mentors for Kids is a nonprofit organization created by students at Indiana University in 1995. The organization pairs college students with at-risk children in the community who need a mentor. 

The Ball State chapter works with four different elementary schools. One day each week, the little buddies meet with their mentor on Ball State’s campus to learn more about the importance of higher education. Although joining the club is free for the little buddies, mentors work throughout the semester to raise money to pay for transportation, snacks and materials used during activities. 

Ashley Zhang, a junior business administration major, created the talent show this year to help raise money for the club. Zhang joined College Mentors her freshman year and has been on the executive board for two years. She doesn’t know what sparked her idea for the talent show; she just wanted to help her organization. 

“I thought this would be a great opportunity to let performers meet other talented individuals as well as get the student body together to have a fun time and help a great cause,” Zhang said.

Zhang reached out to friends and other organizations on campus to find participants for the show. Samantha Doub, a senior music education major, is performing with 13 other members of Ladies’ Choice, an a cappella group on campus. It is one of 10 acts in the show.

“We thought it would be a great opportunity to perform and we love the organization,” Doub said. “We’re super excited.”

Zhang expects 200 people to attend this year and she hopes it will become an annual event.

“If it’s successful this year, we would definitely want to continue it for the future,” she said.