Best Buddies 5k promotes inclusion

<p>Best Buddies officers work on signs for their upcoming event. The race, #eRacetheRword, will start at Canan Commons on April 3 at 2 p.m. PHOTO BY DESIREE WILLIAMS</p>

Best Buddies officers work on signs for their upcoming event. The race, #eRacetheRword, will start at Canan Commons on April 3 at 2 p.m. PHOTO BY DESIREE WILLIAMS

The #eRacetheRword 5K will start from Canan Commons on April 3 at 2 p.m.

#eRacetheRword 5k race

Best Buddies is an international organization that provides friendship, employment opportunities and other programs to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Ball State chapter pairs students with adult community members.

Hannah Lugar, a senior elementary and special education major, joined the club her freshman year as an associate member. She moved on to the executive board her sophomore year as treasurer and is now the president.

“It’s my college purpose,” Lugar said. “It’s not just going to classes any more. It’s that I can be the change.”

She created the race last year for her honors thesis, and with the help of her officers, it came to life.

“The whole club came together and just really embraced it,” Lugar said.

Julianna DePoister, vice president, joined her freshman year as well and helped plan the race last year.

“The main goal is to spread inclusion throughout the entire community,” DePoister said. “Everyone deserves the same inclusion, the same friendships and the same opportunities.”

There were 99 participants for the first race and now there are 108 people pre-registered. Lugar hopes to have 150 people in attendance this year.

Those interested can sign up as individuals or a team. Each participant indicates if they want to walk, run or bike. There is also a child option for each event.

Depending on the event chosen, tickets range from $10 to $25. Proceeds go to the two organizations where the buddies work, Beyond I CAN and Hillcroft. This year, proceeds will also go to the Erskine Green Training Institute.

Click here to see the 5k route for competitive runners and click here to see the shorter, noncompetitive route for walkers

MAP IMAGES COURTESY OF HANNAH LUGAR.