Men's basketball travels to Tennessee State for CIT round 1 mathchup

James Whitford, the head of the Ball State men’s basketball team, coaches from the sidelines in the game against Eastern Michigan in Worthen Arena on Feb. 27. The Cardinals beat their record of highest number of points since 1989, scoring 115 to 79. DN PHOTO GRACE RAMEY

The Cardinals and Tigers share a lot of similarities entering the first round of the tournament.

Both teams rank in the top 5 most improved teams in the National Collegiate Athletic Association from the previous season. In order to have earned a bid in the NCAA tournament, both teams had to win its respected conference tournament, which neither did. 

While Ball State (19-13, 10-8 MAC) lost in the first round of the MAC tournament, Tennessee State was one win away from earning an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament after making it into the championship game of the Ohio Valley Conference tournament.

Tennessee State (20-10, 11-5 OVC) lost to Austin Peay, 74-72 in their final game. Austin Peay earned a 16 seed in the tournament and will play Kentucky in the first round.

In the last five games of the season, Tennesse State earned two wins while Ball State only had one.

Both schools also are looking to further their win total for the season. While Ball State is looking for its first 20-win season since the 2001-02 season, Tennessee State is looking to set a school record with wins at the Division 1 level, with 21.

Statistically, both teams are fairly even.

Offensively, Tennesse State averages 3 more points per game than Ball State at 73.3. Ball State holds the defensive advantage giving up 66.1 points per game, 2.4 less than Tennessee State. 

Each team's starting lineup also has three players who average more than 10 points per game. The Tigers offensive attack is led by Keron Deshields (16.4 ppg) and Tahjere McCall (14.6 ppg), while the Cardinals have more balance on the offensive end with Franko House leading the way with 12.5 ppg and four players who bring in at least 8 ppg.

Tipoff for the game is set for 8 p.m. at Gentry Center in Nashville Tennessee March 15.

Recap will be published on ballstatedaily.com following the game.