Ball State football brings energy to 1st spring practice

The Ball State Cardinals enter the field through a cloud of smoke at the beginning of the game against Bowling Green on Nov. 24 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO GRACE RAMEY

The Ball State football team, along with new head coach Mike Neu, met at Scheumann Stadium on March 22 for its first spring practice.

What was most notable about the practice was the energy from both Neu and the players.

“I expect that every day. I’m a passionate guy; I expect our staff to have energy,” Neu said. “I told those guys last night that when we laid out the spring goals that they could expect positive energy from me, and I expect the same thing from them.”

During the practice, loud music was being blasted from the south end zone. This was a tactic Neu purposely put in place.

“Scheumann Stadium’s going to be packed here when we play, and on the road it’s going to be challenging,” Neu said.

While every player is dealing with a new head coach, it was particularly unique for older players like red-shirt senior linebacker Zack Ryan, who was coached by former head coach Pete Lembo for the previous four years. 

“That was a big change for someone coming in and some of the older guys,” Ryan said. “We all have a lot of respect for these new coaches, and we’re all having a lot of fun.”

Other than the heightened level of energy Neu has brought to the field, his know-how of the game ties into the respect the players give him.

“I mean, obviously, [Neu] won a [Mid-American Conference] championship when he was here and he was statistically one of the best passers,” sophomore quarterback Riley Neal said. “He definitely knows what he’s talking about.”

Ball State senior wide receiver KeVonn Mabon came second in receptions on the team last year with 745 yards and spoke on the importance of his connection with Neal for the upcoming season.

“We have the chemistry down, and we had to work through last season, [but] we have it down already,” Mabon said. “I feel like with me coming back and him coming back, we’ll be good on offense.”

Ryan also commented on what Neu will bring to the team as a whole.

“With ... Neu, I think we’re going to play really fast,” Ryan said.

Former Ball State wide receiver and New Orleans Saint Willie Snead also attended the practice on Tuesday. He praised the team’s energy on the field.

“I’m glad to see the tempo’s picked up and the guys are competing,” Snead said. “I feel like guys are excited for the new coach.”

Tuesday’s practice concluded with a small scrimmage that started at the offense’s own 10-yard line. With Neal at the helm, the Cardinals marched down the field, with Neal completing all five of his passes. 

Neu spoke of what he thought of the team as a whole, and what they will do moving forward.

“We can accomplish anything we want to,” Neu said. “This is a starting point for us, and we’re going to just grow and build confidence on a daily basis.”

The Cardinals hit the practice field again at 3:30 p.m. March 24 in preparation for their spring game on April 23.