Ball State to play in first postseason tournament since 2002

Ball State students cheer on the men's basketball team during the game against Kent State on Jan. 19 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO PATRICK MURPHY

First Round Game Time

Time - 8:00 p.m.

Location - Tennessee State

Listen - WLBC

Stream - SIDEARM Sports

Ball State accepted a bid to play in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason tournament (CIT) and will play Tennessee State on March 15 at the Gentry Center in Nashville. 

It will be the Cardinals' first postseason tournament since the 2002 season.

Both teams have posted massive turnarounds this season.

Ball State improved to 19-13 after posting a 7-23 record last season, the fourth-largest turnaround in the NCAA. The Cardinals finished tied for the Mid-American Conference West Division title with Central Michigan at 10-8.

Tennessee State, however, had the largest improvement in the country. The Tigers marked a 20-10 season after going 5-26 last year.

With the improvement, Tennessee State tied for the second-best record in the Ohio Valley Conference at 11-5. This is the first time in Tennessee State history the program is hosting a postseason game.

The matchup between Tennessee State and Ball State will be the third meeting between the two programs. The Tigers beat Ball State in the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons.

Ball State is a young team that starts two sophomores, two juniors and one senior.

The Cardinals finished the regular season with three straight losses, but the CIT gives them a chance to cap off a much-improved season with some positive energy for next season.