Highlight film brings Bo Calhoun out of 'slump'

Calhoun's Statistics

Field goal percentage: 46.15% (6-13)

Free throw percentage: 100% (4-4)

Rebounds: 12

Total Points: 17

Minutes: 30

A three-minute highlight film was all it took to get senior forward Bo Calhoun back on track for round two of the CollegeInsider.com Invitational Tournament.

In his previous four games, Calhoun claimed he wasn't playing well. He called it a "slump." 

Entering Sunday night’s second-round contest in the CIT against the University of Tennessee at Martin, he was subbed out of the starting lineup for freshman forward Trey Moses, marking the third time this season Calhoun had to come off the bench.

“It was kind of weird for me,” Calhoun said. “I was kind of frustrated when [head coach James Whitford] first told me, but today they showed me a highlight film to get me back in the right mindset and it translated to the game."

The Ball State coaching staff compiled a 3-minute highlight film of all the good plays Calhoun had made in his final season as a Cardinal.

Whitford explained to Calhoun why his decision was in the team's best interest.

“When we told Bo he wasn’t starting, we also put together a highlight tape of some of the best basketball he’s played this year," Whitford said. “I just wanted him to understand this isn’t personal, this is about putting our team in the best chance to win — we’re on the same boat, if our boat gets to the other end, we all win.”

Calhoun entered the game for junior forward Franko House at the 16:15 mark in the first half. It took the team captain two minutes and 11 seconds to score his first basket on a fading jump-shot from the painted area. 

He finished the half with seven points and three rebounds after scoring nine points total in the past three contests.

The second half was more more of the same as the South Bend native as he tacked on 10 more points and grabbed seven more rebounds. He finished the game with his ninth double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds.

In what could potentially be Calhoun’s last game at Worthen Arena, the white No. 12 jersey was no longer tucked in as he walked off the floor with his head held high and an ear-to-ear grin on his face.

“Today, coach Grunkemeyer was like, ‘Dang Bo, you had three senior nights,’” Calhoun joked in the post-game press conference. “That’s crazy — I appreciate my time here and if this was my last home game, what a way to go out.”

Whitford left the final words in the post-game press conference talking about Calhoun.

“For Bo, nothing has been given, everything has been earned since the day he was born — so for him, it’s great.”