Ball State men's basketball travels to Columbia for CIT quarterfinal

James Whitford, the head of the Ball State men’s basketball team, coaches from the sidelines in the game against Eastern Michigan in Worthen Arena on Feb. 27. The Cardinals beat their record of highest number of points since 1989, scoring 115 to 79. DN PHOTO GRACE RAMEY

Remaining CIT games

March 23 - Grand Canyon (27-6) @ Coastal Carolina (20-11) 

March 23 - UC Irvine (26-9) @ UL Lafayette (19-14)

March 24 - UT Arlington (23-13) @ NJIT (19-14)

Ball State men's basketball will play Columbia for its first time ever in the quarterfinal matchup of the CollegeInsider.com Invitational Tournament.

This is the Cardinals' 35th game of the year, which ties the program record for games played in a single season. The Cardinals are coming off back-to-back overtime wins in the CIT, while Columbia is coming off of a second-round bye after beating Norfolk State 86-54 in the first round.

The Lions finished third in the Ivy League this season and boast a 22-10 overall record. Ball State is 21-13 this season and, with a win, has a chance to become the first men's basketball team in Cardinal history to reach the semifinals of a postseason tournament.

Columbia has four starters who average more than 10 points per game. As a team, the Lions average 76.5 points per game this season, while giving up 68.8 per game. Ball State, on the other hand, has allowed 66.7 points per game, while averaging 70.9 of its own.

Tip-off for the game is set for 7 p.m. March 23 at Levien Gymnasium in New York.