Blue Man Group brings laughter, entertainment to Emens

The Blue Man Group performed on Feb. 29 at John R. Emens Auditorium. The group is a comedy, theater, rock concert and dance party all in one. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Before the show started, an electronic message board required the audience to pledge not to use their electronics during the show, “even if it killed [them].” A birthday wish was also given, followed by an auditorium full of people singing “Happy Birthday.”

See photos from the Blue Man Group's performance here.

For the first 10 minutes of the show, the auditorium was completely dark except for the stage, turning the audience’s full focus on the projections of the group- lights were displayed behind the members and their silhouettes were projected to the audience. 

The show included many familiar aspects, including the use of pipes, bright lights and sound effects. Many times, the sound and light effects would accompany each other, normally when the group was playing instruments. Although the music was very percussion-based, a back-up band helped keep the feel of a rock concert.

Adriane Montano, a freshman psychology and criminology major, was impressed overall with her first time seeing the group.

“I never expected anything that happened,” Montano said. “The fact that there were so many surprises made going worth it. It’s definitely something you could see a few times and still enjoy.”

Throughout the entirety of the show, the Blue Men didn’t speak a word, one of the trademarks of their show. Their jokes were expressed through body language alone, and the audience responded well to their comedic acts.

There was no shortage of audience interaction during the show. From throwing marshmallows into members’ mouths to feeding one woman a Twinkie, the night was full of surprises, earning much laughter.

One man was even covered in paint, hung upside down and swung into a canvas, creating a print of himself. Members in the pit of the auditorium wore ponchos, in case props sprayed out into the audience.

For Ball State student Ruthie Shellabarger, a sophomore public relations major, the best part of the night was the ending rave experience, complete with giant light-up balls, strobe lights and audience encouragement to “shake [their] booty.”

“It was fun,” Shellabarger said. “It was my first [Blue Man Group] show, but I would probably see them again.”

After the show, the Blue Man Group and some band members made an appearance in the lobby of Emens Auditorium for photographs with people who where still there. They refused to speak, keeping in character and the essence of the show alive for a little while longer.