Ball State sweeps Lindenwood, marking 10th straight win

Marcin Niemczewski, a senior outside attacker, attempts to hit the ball over the net during the match against Harvard on Jan. 15 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

Ball State men’s volleyball swept the Lindenwood University on Feb. 26, 25-14, 25-21, 25-15.

It was the ninth-ranked Cardinals' 10th consecutive victory, but senior setter Hiago Garchet said the success won't make them complacent.

“The fact that we’ve won 10 matches doesn’t mean anything," he said. "It’s the beginning of the season and we know that. It’s good to win but we are just going to use that as motivation to keep going and keep winning.”

Coach Joel Walton said he was impressed with his team’s defense.

“Holding a team to a negative hitting percentage is some pretty stellar defense,” he said.

Walton said senior outside attacker Marcin Niemczewski, who recorded three service aces and four kills in the first set alone, was instrumental in the victory.

“Niemczewski tonight was huge for us and kind of carried the team and led the team in many different ways,” Walton said.

Walton said extra rest helped Niemczewski total a team-high 12 kills in the match.

“Keeping him fresh last night and having him ready to go tonight played well for us,” Walton said. 

The Lions kept the second set closer, but blocking from sophomore middle attacker Matt Walsh and sophomore outside attacker Mitch Weiler sealed the set win for the Cardinals.

Ball State finished off the Lions in the third set behind four and a half team blocks aided by three blocks in the set for Walsh.

The Cardinals improved to 12-3 on the season and still leads the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association with a 6-0 record. Lindenwood falls to 2-10 on the season and 0-6 in the MIVA.

Three straight road games await the Cardinals, including a trip to Los Angeles to take on UCLA (14-3, 10-3 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) on Monday, March 7.

Ball State will play its next home match on Sunday, March 13 when it hosts the University of Mount Olive (7-3, 6-2 Conference Carolinas).