Social media night aims to 'pack the nest'

<p>Ball State Athletics hosted the first Social Media Night for students. There were activities and free t-shirts for students that attended. DN PHOTO ALISON CARROLL</p>

Ball State Athletics hosted the first Social Media Night for students. There were activities and free t-shirts for students that attended. DN PHOTO ALISON CARROLL

Events for the Evening

PrimeTrust Prime Seat Contest

Village Promenade Captains of the Game

Basketball Pep Band Song of the Night

Tweet Your Seat

Photos of the Game

In-Game Promos

Through email, Ball State athletics gave away free customized T-shirts for students who sent their name, T-shirt size and Twitter handle. Around 1,000 students are set to receive shirts.

Pepsi and Student Government Association were the suppliers for the shirts.

With a successful turnout last season, assistant athletics director for marketing and fan engagement Shawn Sullivan is excited to bring it back.

"We are looking to bring cool and memorable events to our students... and pack the nest," Sullivan said.

Last season, even in the midst of a six-game Cardinal losing streak, there were more than 3,000 fans who attended the first social media night. Good enough for fifth-highest home attendance of the 2014-15 season.

This year's match up has a little higher implications as Ball State (15-8, 6-4 Mid-American Conference) is now tied for first in the MAC West Division and will be taking on Ohio (14-8, 5-5 MAC), a team who was able to beat the team already this season.

“This is a team on the rise. We are making a push toward the postseason,” Sullivan said.

Students in attendance will get an opportunity to win prizes and take part in promotional events using the hashtag #chirpchirp on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. 

While the social media night shows promise to expand to other sports in the future, for now it will remain with solely with basketball.

“We would consider it. Basketball seems to have leveraged itself well, but we would consider anything,” Sullivan said.