Men's swimming closes regular season on Senior Day

<p>Freshman Thomas Cross prepares to swim in his event&nbsp;during the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY</p>

Freshman Thomas Cross prepares to swim in his event during the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Senior Day Accolades

2 relay wins

4 individual swimming wins

1 individual diving win

There was only one graduating senior that the crowd came out to see on Senior Day, and that was Cole Smith. 

Smith was recognized prior to the meet at the Senior Day ceremony.

“I was trying to cherish the moment,” Smith said. “I was trying to keep an open mind and, most importantly, have as much fun with my teammates at my last swim at the Lew.”

Smith was first to touch the wall in the 50 freestyle, putting a final time of 21.80 on the board in his main event.

“I was happy with my performance the first half of the meet. I definitely gave it everything I had,” Smith said.

Smith was a key component in today’s match-up, as he opened the meet with a Cardinal victory in the 200 medley relay. Smith joined teammates junior Logan Kisinger, freshman Zach Reichle and junior Bradley Ridge to post a final time of 1:36.03. Smith also finished third in the 100 freestyle with a 48.45 final.

Head coach Bob Thomas was pleased with Smith's and the team's overall performance on the day.

“We wanted [Smith] to come out on top on Senior Day," Thomas said. "He swam very well in his events and won the 50 free, his best event. It was a nice way to finish out his career here.”

Junior Tanner Barton and freshman Alec Tuthill contributed to the team’s performance by taking over the 100 butterfly. Barton finished first (51.02), and Tuthill took second (51.77). Barton added a second individual first place finish in the 200 butterfly posting a time of 1:53.39.

“More than 75 percent of the team did an outstanding job, especially coming off a week of hard workouts,” Thomas said. “Tuthill had a great swim, and we will definitely be seeing him on our MAC squad.”

Being the team’s last duel meet of the season, the Cardinals will being putting in a roster that will be competing in the postseason.

The Cardinals will compete in the MAC championships March 2-5 in Ypsilanti, Mich.