Ball State men's volleyball leads MIVA

Members of the men's volleyball team react on the sideline during the match against Harvard on Jan. 15 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

Upcoming Schedule

Feb. 17  vs. Loyola - 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 18 vs. Lewis - 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 25 vs. Quincy - 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 26 vs. Lindenwood - 7:30 p.m.

Ball State defeated in-state rival Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne on Feb. 11 and Barton College on Feb. 12. The Cardinals have won six straight matches and are 9-3 (3-0 MIVA) on the season.

“Right now, it feels great," sophomore Mitch Weiler said. "It is very early in the season, though, so we aren’t getting our heads too high, but we are enjoying the moment."

The No. 13 Cardinals have a better conference record than No. 5 Loyola Chicago and No. 9 Ohio State, which they beat 3-2 on Feb. 6.

While it remains early in the season, both players and coaches are pleased with how the team has started the season. 

“It feels good, but it is very early. I think that is the most important part, and when you talk about the teams that were picked to finish higher in the MIVA, we still have both of those teams to play,” head coach Joel Walton said. “I’m real happy with where we are at. We need to keep getting better because we are not where we want to be yet.”

Ball State will play host to two of those opponents predicted to finish ahead of them in the preseason MIVA standings. It will take on Loyola on Feb. 17 and Lewis on Feb. 18.

Both the Ramblers (8-3, 3-1 MIVA) and the Flyers (9-5, 4-2 MIVA) have yet to play the Cardinals this season. 

“If we can still be ahead after we have gone through that first cycle and played everybody, that is something to hang our hats on," Walton said. "And at that point in time, it’s a great start."