Ball State athletics donates to Dance Marathon

Ball State students cheer on the men's basketball team during the game against Kent State on Jan. 19 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO PATRICK MURPHY

Significant Dates

Men's basketball - vs. Northern Illinois (Feb. 19 @ 6:30 p.m.)

Women's basketball - vs. Western Michigan (Feb. 20 @ 1 p.m.)

Ball State Dance Marathon - (Feb. 20 @ 2 p.m.)

Ball State athletics is joining the effort to raise money toward Ball State University Dance Marathon by donating part of its game proceeds to the year-long fundraising organization. 

Athletics will donate $1 of every ticket sale and $1 for each student that attends the men's basketball game on Feb. 19 against Northern Illinois.

Shawn Sullivan, assistant athletics director for marketing and fan engagement, said athletics wants to work with the student body by contributing to Dance Marathon.

“We still have another game to go this weekend, but it will probably be a couple thousand dollars,” Sullivan said.

This is an effort to raise money for Riley's Children Hospital by Feb. 20, when participants of Dance Marathon will dance for 12 hours.

Ball State’s athletic program is attempting to interact and get more involved with the student body on campus through events like the #Muncieout and social media night.

“We are trying to work with and support the student body," Sullivan said. "We are looking to create a good atmosphere and boost school spirit."

The women's basketball game at 1 p.m. on Feb. 20 will end during the first few hours of BSUDM, with the dance going from 2 p.m.- 2 a.m.

The last few years have seen substantial growth in BSUDM's fundraising. According to the dance marathon’s main web page (www.bsudm.org), 2015 was a record setting year raising more 502,103.22 dollars.

At last year's dance, BSUDM participants raised an average of $108 each, while this year's dancers are expected to raise a minimum of $100 to participate.

BSUDM will look to break its previous record this year, a task that Ball State athletics is hoping to help with. Cardinal athletics, in partnership with Pepsi, is giving part of the revenue from basketball games to the cause.

Whether the money is coming from athletics, students or donors outside the university, every penny that goes to the Riley Children’s Hospital helps children in need.