Ball State hosts Eastern Michigan looking to hold MAC West lead

The men's basketball attempts to keep the rebound away from Northern Illinois during the game on Feb 19 in Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO KORINA VALENZUELA

MAC West Division standings

Ball State - (18-10, 9-6)

Toledo - (17-11, 8-7)

Central Michigan - (15-13, 8-7)

Northern Illinois - (18-10, 7-8)

Eastern Michigan - (15-13, 7-8)

Western Michigan - (11-17, 5-10)

The Cardinals (18-10, 9-6) won 88-87 Jan. 23 behind a game-winning 3-pointer from Francis Kiapway in double overtime. There were several missed calls in the final 15 seconds, leading to the suspension of two Mid-American Conference officials.

Ball State, who is holding a one-game lead in the MAC West Division, hosts Eastern Michigan at 2 p.m. today. The Cardinals are looking to bounce back from a road loss to Toledo on Feb. 23.

Toledo and Central Michigan are one game behind Ball State in the standings, while Eastern Michigan (15-13, 7-8) and Northern Illinois are two games behind.

Eastern Michigan has won four of its last five contests, including its most recent 73-62 victory over Western Michigan. The Eagles are second in the conference in scoring offense, averaging 78.1 points per game.

Meanwhile, Ball State boasts the league's top scoring defense, holding opponents to 65.8 points per contest.

With a win Saturday, Ball State would maintain its lead in the MAC West and will gain traction for one of the top four seeds in the MAC tournament. The top four seeds receive an automatic bye to the quarterfinals at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.

With three games remaing, the Cardinals control their own destiny while seeking their first MAC West Division championship since the 2009 season when they were co-champions with Central Michigan and Western Michigan.

Ball State is 11-4 at Worthen Arena this season and 7-1 within the MAC West.

The teams will tip off at 2 p.m. at Worthen Arena.