Baseball opens season with 1-3 record in Arizona

Freshman first baseman Caleb Stayton runs to home base in the March 21 game against Bowling Green at Ball Diamond. Ball State

Game results

L vs. no. 5 Oregon State, 7-6

L vs. Utah Valley, 5-1

L vs. Utah, 11-5

W vs. Utah Valley, 3-1

Ball State baseball (1-3) lost its first three games of the season but capped its trip to the Surprise College Baseball Classic in Surprise, Ariz., with a victory against Utah Valley (2-2), 3-1.

The Cardinals only totaled four hits in the game but took advantage of six walks. Redshirt junior left-handed pitcher Kevin Marnon was credited with the win after allowing one earned run and four hits while totaling three strikeouts in 6.2 innings.

Ball State kicked off the weekend with a 7-6 loss to Oregon State (2-1), the fifth-best team in the country according to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers' Association, before dropping its first game against Utah Valley, 5-1, and a game against Utah, 11-5.

Cardinal batters collectively hit .193 over the four-game stretch while the pitchers combined for a 4.91 ERA.

Junior first baseman Caleb Stayton led the Cardinals in with 3 RBI and was 5-16 in Arizona. Junior infielder Ryan Spaulding led the team with two doubles and five walks.

Next weekend, Ball State will travel to Winter Haven, Fla., for the Russ Matt Invitational. There, the team will take on the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee twice as well as George Washington University.

The Cardinals will also take on Mid-American Conference rival Kent State, who it will not face in MAC play this season.