Using a cellphone during workout may decrease results, study shows

Patrons of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center work out on ellipticals Monday evening. The new year has brought more people attempting to get in better shape for New Year’s resolutions. DN PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

Using a cellphone while exercising may make the workout less intense, a new study shows, which may be bad news for students trying to stay entertained at the gym. 

Jacob E. Barkley and Andrew Lepp, both a part of the College of Education, Health and Human Services at Kent State University, conducted a study to see just how much cellphones are interfering with exercise, fitness and health. They found using a cellphone while working out lowers the intensity of a workout.

At a public U.S. university, 226 students took the survey. It found students use a cellphone for 380 minutes per day, and 87 percent of those students use them while sitting. Of the students surveyed, 70 percent reported they considered being on their phone a leisure activity. According to the results, cellphone use and sedentary behavior are associated, but not directly related.

The study concluded those who are high-frequency users of their cellphones and other electronics with screens, such as computers and televisions, are more likely to use those technologies while working out.

The neural activity of using devices with screens diminishes the ability to do other movements. Exercisers are taking part of their focus off of their workout and putting it into their cellphone, which instantly lowers the magnitude of their workout.

Nate Brown, instructor and adviser in the exercise science department of the School of Kinesiology, said people spend more time on their phones than they think. He said this could have an effect on the amount of time spent exercising.

“A workout that may take you an hour, now takes you an hour and a half because you’re spending all this extra time,” Brown said.

Andrew Collins, a freshman member of the Ultimate Frisbee Club, said he goes to the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center on campus almost every day. He said working out can be “mind-numbingly boring,” but he had advice for those wanting to get a quality workout.

“Don’t text while working out,” Collins said.

He said to avoid boredom by making a music playlist ahead of time.

Brown said exercisers should leave their phones alone during a workout to see better results.

“If we focused more on our exercise versus our phones, I think people would see better improvements in their exercise while they’re doing it,” Brown said.