Former associate vice president named new acting provost

Robert Morris - Graduate School
Robert Morris - Graduate School

A week after Terry King took over as acting Ball State president after President Paul W. Ferguson's resignation, the university has named a new acting provost. 

Robert Morris, former associate vice president for research and dean of the Graduate School (right), will be the acting provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. 

Carolyn Kapinus was named acting associate vice president for research and dean of the Graduate School.

Morris will oversee campus academic affairs, and Kapinus will direct the university's research and oversee graduate programs. 

"I am grateful to both [Morris] and [Kapinus] for assuming their new responsibilities so quickly," King said in a university email. "They bring tremendous experience and insight to their new roles, and I am confident that the transitions will be smooth. I especially look forward to continuing to work with [Morris] as a member of the Cabinet as we progress on our ongoing initiatives."

Morris was the dean of the Graduate School since 2008 and worked with the research since 2015. He joined the Department of Chemistry in 1991 and was chair from 2002-07. 

Kapinus (pictured left) has been the associate dean of the Graduate School since 2011. She came to Ball State as an assistant professor in the Department of Sociology in 1999. 

Related content: 

Why did President Ferguson leave?

University could pay Ferguson more than half a million dollars despite resignation

University will continue with Ferguson's initiatives

What happened under Ferguson's tenure?

Search to hire Ferguson cost Ball State more than $150,000

See all stories from Ferguson's resignation