GameTrailers shuts down, staff told only ‘mere hours’ before announcement

GameTrailers, a website that hosted reviews and previews of upcoming video games along with original content since the early 2000's, has suddenly shut down overnight. In an announcement directly from their Facebook and Twitter accounts, the group announced they were shutting down after 13 years of operation.

Within hours the many on social media came together to celebrate what GameTrailers had accomplished, as well as wishing the staff good luck in their future ventures. Amidst the reminiscing, many fans and users of the website were confused and shocked by the sudden shutdown, but they were not the only ones. Posting in a NeoGAF thread discussing the website’s demise, GameTrailer’s Associate Editor Ben Moore said that the staff had only just found out about the closing only a few hours before the announcement.

In one final hour-long Twitch stream, the remaining members of GameTrailers thanked all of their fans, and joked about their newly unemployed statuses while playing the very first game captured by GameTrailers: Grand Theft Auto 3. Throughout the stream, they emphasized that they were not at liberty to disclose the reasons why they were shutting down, and that it was out of their hands. At the end of the stream, the crew embraced and told the audience to stay tuned and that they would see them all later.

The shutdown comes only a few years after the media outlet was purchased by Defy Media back in 2014, which resulted in the layoff of many employees.

-----

Source: Twitter, Twitch

Images: Twitter, Twitch