Ball State unable to come back, loses to Kent State 76-68

Junior guard Ryan Weber attempts to get past a Kent State player during the game against Kent State on Jan. 19 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State Statistics

Points - 68

Rebounds - 28

Field Goals - 40.7% (24-59)

Three-Pointers - 45.8% (11-24)

Kent State came into the game matching Ball State's record at 12-5, and now the Golden Flashes stand alone atop the Mid-American Conference East Division. 

The Golden Flashes dominated on the offensive end of the ball by getting into a rhythm early and never looking back, never once surrendering the lead to Ball State.

“I would rather us have a bad offensive game than a bad defensive game. They shot 51 percent from the field, 42 percent from three and had 25 free throws. That is a great offensive night,” head coach James Whitford said. “With the slow start, we dug ourselves too big of a hole.”

The big hole came early. By the first media timeout, Kent State already held a 10-2 lead.

This is the second straight game in which Ball State has come out with a slow start, but this time they were not able to pull away a comeback victory. 

Redshirt senior guard Ryan Weber knows that his team must come out to play strong in order to compete with the top teams in the MAC.

“We cannot come out slow against a good team with good players and expect to win the game," Weber said. 

Weber finished the game with 16 points off of 5-11 from the field and 4-9 from behind the three-point line.

Kent State was able to finish the game with three players in double digits: Jimmy Hall with 14, Kellon Thomas with 20 and Xavier Pollard with 22. 

During the halftime break, Whitford decided to put in sophomore guard Jeremie Tyler over junior guard Naiel Smith.

“Kellon Thomas was on pace to score… what, 50 on us? I had to do something to try and stop his offensive production,” Whitford said. “I could have played either of them [Naiel Smith or Jeremie Tyler], but they were equally poor defensively.”

Ball State started the second half down 37-30 and were able to cut the lead down to one, 61-60 with four minutes left in the game. 

But the team's defense poor defense kept the Cardinals from completing the comeback.

“It was anyone’s game at that point. We just couldn’t get stops,” Whitford said. “We have to start games with more focus and intensity, but I can only do so much. Our guys have to buy in if they want to win ball games.”

Ball State will comeback on Jan. 23 to face off against at 10-7 Eastern Michigan team on the road.