2016 legislative session: Bills to watch

<p><em>DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Indiana General Assembly started its 2016 session on Jan. 5. Here is a breakdown of some proposed bills students should keep an eye on this spring.

For a complete list, go to https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/.

LGBTQ Rights

Senate Bill 35: Single-sex facilities

If this legislation is passed, it would be illegal for a person to knowingly enter a public restroom that does not comply with their assigned sex at birth. This bill would directly impact transgender students at Ball State. Those over 18 years old would be charged with a class A misdemeanor. 

Anti-discrimination bills

After the Religious Freedom Restoration Act was passed in 2015, Indiana lawmakers and Gov. Mike Pence received criticism for discriminating against those in the LGBTQ community. Lawmakers are now attempting to provide more equal rights for the LGBTQ community, while also balancing religious freedom.

These are the three proposed bills: 

SB 2: Prohibited discrimination in civil right statutes

This bill prohibits discrimination due to sexual orientation, gender identity, nationality and disability, among other things, by amending civil rights enforcement statues. Of the three, this bill provides the most protection for those in the LGBTQ community.

SB 100: Civil Rights

SB 100 prohibits discrimination due to military active duty status, sexual orientation or gender identity. Unlike SB 2, this bill allows some protections for religious reasons. It also overrides anti-discriminatory local ordinances that are already in place.

SB 344: Civil Rights

This bill prohibits discrimination due to military active duty status and sexual orientation. It also provides some protection for religious reasons. Unlike SB 100 and 2, it does not apply to transgender individuals. Instead, the bill calls for a study on transgender discrimination.

Also unlike SB 100, this bill doesn't override any local ordinances already in place. It does, however, prevent new local nondiscriminatory ordinances that go against state law. 

Alcohol and other substances

SB 8: Alcohol permits and sales

SB 8 would enable alcohol sales on Sundays by liquor stores, as well as not allowing the alcohol and tobacco commission to issue a permit to drug stores. 

SB 16: Alcoholic beverages

Like SB 8, this would let package liquor stores, farm wineries or microbreweries sell carryout alcohol on Sundays. It also would allow those with a new supplemental dealer's permit to sell alcohol on Sundays. 

SB 80: Pharmacists and ephedrine

According to the in.gov, Delaware County leads the state in meth lab seizures. In an effort to curb the amount of methamphetamine being produced, one lawmaker introduced a bill that would make it harder for people to purchase over the counter medicine that is used to make meth. This bill would require pharmacists to consult with costumers before selling them pseudoephedrine products, like cold medicine. 

SB 209: Medical Marijuana

If passed, the bill would create a medical marijuana program in the state and a new state agency, the Department of Marijuana Enforcement. Last year, a similar bill never received a hearing. 

Crime
SB 89: Lifeline Law

If someone reports a medical emergency, they couldn't be prosecuted for consumption of an illegal substance (like marijuana), giving alcohol to a minor or providing a place for a minor to drink, if this bill passed. SB 89 adds to the Lifeline Law already in place, which protects minors who have consumed alcohol from being prosecuted in a medical emergency. 

Senate Bill 137: Statute of limitations on rape

This bill would eliminate the statue of limitations on rape. Currently, someone can not be charged for rape if it has been more than five years.

Other

House Bill 1055: Possession of firearms on state property

If this bill passed, it would be illegal for a state agency to make rules limiting the possession and transportation of guns on state grounds. Ball State would no longer be able to prevent those who have concealed carry from bringing their handguns on campus.

Check out the full story on this bill.

SB 79: Use of telecommunication devices while driving 

This bill would expand on a current law that prohibits texting while driving. SB 79 would make it illegal for those over 21 to use a phone while driving except to make a phone call, use a GPS or use an application to find gas.