Issues in the upcoming election

Millennials have the potential to reshape the way people look at politics. For politicians relying on this generation’s support, the question is: what it will it take to get young voters to the polls? According to a Pew Research study, Millennials were a huge part of the election of Barack Obama. In 2008, Obama won 66 percent of votes from 18 to 29-year-olds and in 2012 he won 60 percent.

Millennials will continue to have an important role in the 2016 election, but only if they vote. Candidates can encourage voter turnout by addressing issues that are important to their constituents. The discussion about what issues are most significant to young voters and who they will vote for is especially keen as an election nears.

Ball Bearings sat down with Dr. Brandon Waite, a political science professor; Gina Iacobucci, a Bible study leader; Jack Hesser, President of Student Government Association; and Alejandro Corpus, a first generation American, to discuss what issues matter to them in the upcoming 2016 presidential election.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 3.00.35 PM

Photos by Maggie Kenworthy

Ball Bearings: What issues do you associate with the Republican/Democrat platforms?
Waite: Pro-life and Second Amendment rights are issues owned by Republicans. Gun control and pro-choice legislation tend to be more owned by Democrats. Not every issue is owned by a party, but several are.
Iacobucci: I think that for Republicans the hot topics are the economy, immigration, and foreign policy. For the Democrats I think it is more social issues. I think they focus on protecting certain groups from being oppressed such as African Americans or gays and lesbians.
Hesser: I think that a lot of times we see Democrats focus on social issues. Generally we see democratic candidates being progressive. I think that the democratic party really tries to market themselves as the party of equality and the party of this kind of bright utopian future. The conservative side really pushes a very strong economic plan.
Corpus: Republicans and Democrats, I think the underlying issues deal with immigration. They tend to push the things that are going to stick negatively with people’s minds. They tend to not show a lot of light on the positive things that immigration can do. Same issue with gun control.

BB: Do you vote? What motivates you to vote?
Waite: I do vote. I am a LOTE voter- A Lesser of Two Evils. I am a LOTE voter because I understand that while I don’t have perfect policy agreement with any of the candidates, one of the candidates will be in more agreement with my personal beliefs than the other. Even if it is not a perfect match.
Iacobucci: Yes, I feel like as a citizen you are expected to. I know that what I do matters and how I vote ultimately matters. If everyone thought that they are just one person and it doesn’t matter, then nobody would do it. And then it wouldn’t really matter that we have voting.
Hesser: Absolutely I vote. I think that it’s so important for everyone who is able to vote to have the opportunity to express their opinions on who they think should be leading this country. Your vote is so incredibly important.
Corpus: Technically I do not vote, partially because I just became a citizen. I am a first generation American citizen. I haven’t had the chance to explore that part of my life, but I am now a registered voter and I do plan on voting in this upcoming election.

To continue reading, visit BallBearingsMag.com