Report: Mike Neu expected to become Ball State football coach

<p>Ball State Athletic Director Mark Sandy speaks at his introductory press conference. <em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

Ball State Athletic Director Mark Sandy speaks at his introductory press conference. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Mike Neu is expected to become the next Ball State head football coach, according to a report Wednesday night by Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports.

Neu is currently the quarterbacks coach for the New Orleans Saints and played quarterback at Ball State.

Footballscoop.com, a blog centered around football coaching rumors, reported this week Neu was the top choice for Ball State, and he was set to meet with the university president. The blog later reported the morning of Jan. 6 that Neu was offered the job just two weeks following former coach Pete Lembo's departure.

Ball State Associate Athletic Director Michael Clark couldn't confirm nor deny that Neu was the school's top choice, but said to expect an announcement on the Cardinals' head coach as early as this week.

"We're actually hopeful that we can have something by [Jan. 8]," Clark said. "But if that doesn't happen — and it might not — there's still things to work out. ... If that does not happen, then it probably won't happen until [Jan 12 or 13]."

Ball State Athletic Director Mark Sandy has been looking for the program's next head coach since Lembo stepped down on Dec. 22.

Sandy noted aspects of the program, such as new facilities and returning players, as part of an appealing foundation for the Cardinals' next coach. He said he expected a lot of interest for the position.

He didn't have a specific timeline when the search began but wanted to do it as quickly as possible, partially due to recruits that had committed and National Signing Day coming up on Feb. 3.

"Where the program is right now and what people see as the potential for the program and the fact that it's [Football Bowl Subdivision] football ... makes the job look very appealing," Sandy said in an earlier interview. 

Sandy did not immediately return a phone call on Jan 6.

Neu is a native of Indianapolis and played quarterback at Ball State from 1990-1993, and graduated from the school in 1994.

He finished his Ball State career with 6,221 passing yards and 43 touchdown passes. Neu won the Mid-American Conference Most Valuable Player Award and Offensive Player of the Year Award in 1993.

Neu coached in the Arena Football League and with the Tulane Green Wave prior to his time with the Saints.