New stop signs aim for safety

<p><em>PHOTO BY MICHAEL KUHN&nbsp;</em></p>

PHOTO BY MICHAEL KUHN 

Two new stop signs have been added to West Petty Road since the beginning of the month, and drivers and pedestrians alike are taking notice.

The new street signs are located just west of the Ball State campus. The first is on the edge of campus by the designated smoking area, and the other is at the intersection of North Kimberly Lane and West Petty Road.

According to Duke Campbell, superintendent for the Muncie Department of Public Works, he decided to add the signs after citizens in the neighborhood expressed concern about the safety of pedestrians.

“We decided to start with calming traffic down to 20 mph and we would put stop signs in,” Campbell explained. “This is all for protection of pedestrians. I’m told that people are almost hit every day.”

Barbara Bohanon lives in the neighborhood. She said she likes the idea of the new stop signs but she is concerned that people will not notice it right away.

“I think it’s good because before that, I always worried someone would get hit,” Bohanon said. “Although when a stop sign is new, people have to get used to it, so I’m hoping that skateboarders don’t zoom out there and someone hasn’t realized yet that there’s a stop sign.”

Some students are still adjusting to the addition at the cow path crosswalk as well. Elizabeth Barton, a Ball State freshman, said it can be tricky knowing when to walk.

“They’re a little confusing, because I don’t see them, then the cars stop and I forget I’m supposed to walk. So it throws me off a little bit,” Barton said.

Dan Byrnes, a neighborhood resident, said he hopes to see a sidewalk put in along the dangerous stretch of narrow road, but he likes the stop signs in the meantime.

“Until the city tries to put a sidewalk in someday, this is probably the best intermediate solution just to get people to slow down,” said Byrnes.

Campbell also said he hopes the department of public works will be able to put in a sidewalk to make the area safer for pedestrians in the future.

“I’d love to do that. The city would love to do that.The mayor also expressed that he’d love to be able to do that, but we’ve got to work with the resources that we have. Just right now, it’s not an option,” Campbell explained.

According to Campbell, the stop signs are currently on a 90 day trial basis, and the Muncie City Council must review their effectiveness before they are made permanent.