Holiday events in, around Muncie

A Christmas tree sits on a dock in the snow at White Bear Lake in Minnesota on Monday, Nov. 30, 2015. (Jeff Wheeler/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS)

Get in the holiday spirit this season with several events around the Muncie and Indianapolis Area.

Light Up DWNTWN

Downtown Muncie is organizing Light Up DWNTWN to kick off the holiday season with many events through the evening. The Community Tree Lighting Ceremony will take place at Canan Commons. This will also be the location of the inaugural “Holiday Yart” featuring 50 artists selling their creations in a heated tent, as stated on the Muncie Downtown website. There will be ice carving, ice skating, fire pits, concessions and much more. For more details, visit downtownmuncie.org.

Where: Various locations in Downtown Muncie

When: 5-8 p.m., Dec. 3

Enchanted Luminaria Walk at Minnestrista

Celebrate the holidays with your friends at this free community event featuring live theater performances, music, games, treats, carriage rides and more. Rides and food have small fees. For more information visit minnestrista.net/events.

Where: 1200 N. Minnestrista Pky.

When: Dec. 4 and 5 from 6 - 9 p.m.

Miracle on 34th Street

The classical holiday movie is brought to life in a musical from the writer of “The Music Man.” Some of the featured songs include “Pinecones and Hollyberries” and “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas.” Visit munciecivic.org for more information.

Where: Muncie Civic Theatre, 216 E. Main St.

When: Dec. 4-19, various show times

Price: Students and children, $11; Adults, $16

Rinard Orchid Greenhouse Holiday Open House

The Rinard Orchid Greenhouse will feature orchids and plants for the holiday season. Guests can enjoy coffee, hot chocolate, refreshments and a silent auction. The BSU student glass guild will also have a glass-blowing demonstration in the Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass. There will even be a trolley taking guests to the Enchanted Luminaria Walk at Minnetrista. For more information, visit the Muncie Calendar website.

Where: The Rinard Orchid Greenhouse

When: 6-9 p.m., Dec. 5

Price: Free

Cook and Belle’s Annual Christmas Show

The country singers will perform at Cornerstone Center for the Arts. The show will center around helping the community. For more information visit the Muncie Calendar website.

Where: Cornerstone Center for the Arts, 520 E. Main St.

When: 7 p.m., Dec. 5

Price: $10 General, $15 for VIP seating, in addition to a non-perishable food item.

America’s Hometown Band Christmas

Get in the Christmas spirit with this year’s production of America’s Hometown Band, a community group including Ball State and East Central Indiana performers. The Ball State website advertises this year’s program featuring a jazz band and special guest David Robbins, Wizard of the Xylophone. Tickets are free for BSU students at the Emens Auditorium Box Office. For more information go to bsu.edu/emens.

Where: Emens Auditorium

When : Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m.

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer

The tale of Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer comes to the stage in a spectacle-filled musical, as seen on the Ball State website. Tickets are free in advance for Ball State students or $12 at the door. For more information go to bsu.edu/emens.

Where: Emens Auditorium

When: 7:30 p.m., Dec. 10

Price: Adults, $25 - $35; Students, free in advance or $12 at the door

The Christmas Star

The Charles W. Brown Planetarium will have multiple showings of “The Christmas Star”, which will look at various explanations of the Star of Bethlehem — whether it is an exploding star, a comet or another natural occurrence in the sky.

Where: Charles W. Brown Planetarium in the Cooper Physical Science Building

When: Dec. 4-5., Dec. 11-12, various show times

Price: Free and open to the public

Luminary Festival

The Yorktown Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring the Yorktown Luminary Festival which will feature a parade, carriage rides and a snowball fight. For more information, visit yorktowninchamber.org

Where: Morrow’s Meadow Park in Yorktown, Ind. 

When: Noon to 8 p.m., Dec. 12

Ball State’s Holiday Choral Concerts

Enjoy holiday music from the Chamber Choir, Concert Choir, University Singers, Statesmen, Women’s Chorus and University Choral Union.

Where: Sursa Hall

When: Dec 13. At 3 p.m.

Price: $5, students free in advance at the Emens Box Office.

Winter Solstice

The Indianapolis Museum of Art is having its Winter Solstice. Sidewalks will be lit up and guests can enjoy ice carving demonstrations, live reindeer and a fifty-foot Christmas Tree made of toys by artist Karl Unnasch. Visit imamuseum.org for more details.

Where: Indianapolis Museum of Art, 4000 Michigan Rd. in Indianapolis

When: 5:30 to 9 p.m., Dec. 17

Ugly Sweater 5k

Put on your ugly Christmas sweater and run or walk this year’s Ugly Sweater 5k. There will be a costume contest and refreshments. Participants receive a shirt and finisher medal. For registration information, visit americamultisport.com/uglysweater5k.

Where: Muncie High School, 801 N. Walnut St.

When: 9 a.m., Dec. 19

Price: $25

Christmas at the Zoo

Now in its 47th year, Christmas at the Zoo has lights, animals, carolers, treats, rides and much more throughout the holiday season. Visit indianapoliszoo.com for a full schedule of events and activities.

Where: Indianapolis Zoo, 1200 W. Washington St. Indianapolis

When: Check their website for all the dates and times this season

Price: Tickets range from $9.95-$19.70