​Local Jewish community prepares for Hanukkah

Candle lighting, spending time with family, giving gifts and children playing with dreidels are all things that come to mind when many people in Muncie and around the world think of Hanukkah. But do you know the real meaning? According to dictionary.com the word Hanukkah is Hebrew for “dedication.”

According to merriam-webster dictionary, Hanukkah is an eight-day Jewish holiday that commemorates the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem after its defilement by Antiochus of Syria. 

Anne Eliades, president of Temple Beth El in Muncie, says the Temple will be commemorating the day with a party.

“Every year we have a party and this year is no exception, it’s a very small community but fortunately we have a few people who really want to continue everything so we are able to maintain a synagogue and services and education for our children and adults also celebrate our holidays, our holy days and our festivals together,” Eliades said.

The party will be Saturday, Dec. 12 at Temple Beth El in the evening. Eliades says that the celebration is open to the public.

“If you want to come we just need to know how many people want to come so we have enough food,” Eliades said.

Other community members are preparing to celebrate Hanukkah in a similar way. Jack Salzman, vice president of Hillel, a Jewish student organization, encourages people to come and learn about Jewish culture.

“Coming from the big city of Chicago, the Muncie Jewish community is much smaller. I mean I belong to a temple in the greater city that has countless members. I think people can get a lot of out the meetings because you don't have to be Jewish to know about Jewish culture,” said Salzman.

If you would like to join Temple Beth El for their Hanukah celebration, contact Dr. Anne Eliades to RSVP.

Hillel meets Tuesday in the Whitinger Business building, room 139. Learn more about Hillel at www.bsuhillel.weebly.com.