Glick Center for Glass to sell handmade ornaments

<p>Evan Burnette heats a glass pot at the Glick Center for Glass. <em>PHOTO BY MICHAEL KUHN</em></p>

Evan Burnette heats a glass pot at the Glick Center for Glass. PHOTO BY MICHAEL KUHN

If you are looking for a place to get your holiday ornaments, Ball State may be just the place to look.

Students and staff at the Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass and the School of Art have been preparing for the annual glass ornament sale this week. The sale is Thursday, Dec. 3 from noon to 8 p.m. at the Ball State Alumni Center.

In addition to hand-blown, glass ornaments starting at $20 each, the fundraiser will also feature metal, clay, and glass works of art that the public can observe and enjoy.

According to Evan Burnette, a glass program graduate student at Ball State, the proceeds from the sale will help provide opportunities for glass students to grow in their craft and take educational trips to New York and Poland.

“This is helping pay for some of that travel and the tickets to get there. On top of that, we’re also having an exchange program with a glass school in Poland,” Burnette said. “We can only afford so much and these sales really help send the kids over there.”

The trip to Poland will happen in spring 2016 and is aimed at helping glass students improve their cold shop skills.

Clayton Burns, a senior glass blower at Ball State, said the experiences he is getting at Ball State are helping him grow as an artist.

“I am learning the conceptual side of things, along with the processes,” Burns said. “Having the ability to ask not just one person, but upwards of seven people about how they feel, how the work is, or just simple question of how to do things, you can’t put a pricetag on that.”

The public will have a chance to see these artists in action Dec. 5 at the Glick Center. Students and faculty at the center for glass will do hot glass demonstrations Saturday, 6-9 p.m.