Watts Named MAC Golfer of the Week

<p>Freshman Johnny Watts became the third Ball State golfer in history to win the individual championship for the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Watts is also the first Ball State freshman to win it. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS</em></p>

Freshman Johnny Watts became the third Ball State golfer in history to win the individual championship for the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Watts is also the first Ball State freshman to win it. PHOTO PROVIDED BY BALL STATE ATHLETICS

After a dominant performance at the Ka'anapali Collegiate Classic, Ball State men's golfer Johnny Watts was named the Mid-American Conference golfer of the week. 

The warm Hawaiian sun was not enough to distract Watts on his way to a third place finish out of 102 golfers from 19 colleges. During the three day tournament Watts topped nine of the 10 top-100 players coming into the tournament.

Watts performance was just two strokes behind individual winner Zach Healy out of Georgia.

The Sophomore out of Fishers posted a career-best 54-hole score, finishing with a 207. In all three of the rounds he shot under par shooting 69, 68 and 70 respectively on his way to a -6 par performance.

This is the fourth top 20 and second top ten finish for last spring's MAC individual champion.