Pence answers Muncie 4th graders' burning questions

<p><i style="background-color: initial;">DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</i></p>

DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Governor Mike Pence encouraged the fourth-grade class at Longfellow Elementary School in Muncie to not let anything come between them and their dreams.

Pence spoke to a cafeteria full of kids, telling them the story of coming from his upbringing in Columbus, Ind., “with a cornfield in my back yard,” to calling his mother from Air Force One.

When Pence offered kids the chance to ask questions they had written in class, the room erupted in “oohs” and “aahs” as every child raised their hand as high as they could while still at least trying to stay in their seats.

“What’s your most challenging problem being governor?” one girl asked.

Keeping Hoosiers safe, he replied, emphasizing the opportunity he said he is trying to create for Indiana residents, so long as they keep themselves away from things that can impede that opportunity.

“That’s the great thing about America,” Pence said. “Anybody can be anybody, but you have to stay away from things that can destroy your dreams, like drugs.”

The governor pointed to his personal heroes, President John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., as people who didn’t let anything get in the way of their dreams.

Another young girl asked Pence, “Have you ever made a horrible decision?”

“Occasionally, I make decisions that I maybe would have done differently,” he said. “But as governor of Indiana, you always try to make the best decision from the information you have.”

Pence came to Longfellow Elementary because he loves meeting with the state’s young people, he said.

“It’s always a joy to meet with kids and talk about public service and what I do,” Pence said.

NewsLink Indiana anchors Mackenzie Klahr and Peter Hoffman sat down with Daily News Print Editor Chris Stephens about Pence's visit.