Dance Marathon hosts Miracle Week to spread awareness

<p>The Riley Dance Marathon Committee started Miracle Week on Nov. 9 with stories from Riley kids displayed at the University Green then having a Dancer Preview Party in the Ballroom. The event was in part&nbsp;to invite students who haven't registered or been to a Dance Marathon before.<em>&nbsp;</em><em>DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR</em></p>

The Riley Dance Marathon Committee started Miracle Week on Nov. 9 with stories from Riley kids displayed at the University Green then having a Dancer Preview Party in the Ballroom. The event was in part to invite students who haven't registered or been to a Dance Marathon before. DN PHOTO STEPHANIE AMADOR

Stuffed giraffes and signs with life stories on them were all across campus to spread awareness about Dance Marathon the week of Nov. 9. 

It's all a part of Miracle Week, which was created to invite all students who haven’t registered or been to a Dance Marathon before to see what it’s like to be a part of the organization. 

The week started off on Nov. 9 with stories from Riley Hospital for Children about Mickey Deputy and Braden Tamosaitis on the University Green, and continued on Nov. 10 with a scavenger hunt to find about 200 stuffed giraffes around campus. If students found the location where DM members were, they got a giraffe. 

“The giraffe is a symbol of [Riley] Hospital; it gets passed out to every patient at least once a week through the magic castle cart, which is one of the programs that BSUDM funds at the hospital," said Bethanie Martin, a senior architecture major. "It’s a good icon for us, a good reminder of our close connection to the families."

On Nov. 11, there will be an '80s-themed Wallyball Tournament that starts at 7 p.m. at the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center. The event is $5 per person and students can register at the door.

“We’ve had a lot of successes [in the past]; people really enjoy Wallyball on this campus, so it’s a fun opportunity just to get everyone together,” Martin said.

On Nov. 12, it will be 100 days until Dance Marathon begins on Feb. 20. More than 300 committees and executive members will raise $100 each to reach their goal. Last year, they raised $502,103.22

“That was one of the most exciting moments of my life,” said Beth Endsley, a junior communications and Spanish major.

On Nov. 13, members of DM will be at the Scramble Light or Atrium, depending on weather, from noon to 2 p.m. to tell people why they do Dance Marathon.

“My biggest reason why I DM is I don’t think any child should sleep in a hospital bed,” Endsley said. “Childhood is for laughter, playing, being tucked in at night with a bed time story in your own home. That’s why I want to change — I don’t want these kids to stay at Riley."

Endsley said people see our generation as apathetic, but she disagrees. She said causes like this are a great way for college students to get involved.   

“I’ve got this fire lit in me I didn’t know I had,” Endsley said. “This is what I’m most passionate about. I would do anything for this cause. ... We’re making a difference in so many lives."