Freshmen most likely to change majors

<p>Students walk past the Art and Journalism Building, which is connected on the second floor to Ball Communications, the David Letterman Communication and Media Building and the Robert Bell Building. Freshmen can avoid getting lost in campus buildings by pulling up their class schedule on their phones. <strong>Samantha Brammer, DN FIle</strong></p>

Students walk past the Art and Journalism Building, which is connected on the second floor to Ball Communications, the David Letterman Communication and Media Building and the Robert Bell Building. Freshmen can avoid getting lost in campus buildings by pulling up their class schedule on their phones. Samantha Brammer, DN FIle

Freshmen change their majors the most, and more than 400 first-year students have switched their fields of study this semester, Academic Major Minor Coordinator David Owens said.

Owens said the freshmen class typically changes their majors the most. Many students don’t know what the classes they’ve chosen will be like, and some decide to pick a different field by mid-semester.

“When we get to the middle of the semester there are some students who will start changing their major because they have taken classes in that and that’s not what they were expecting it to be,” Owens said.

The two majors freshmen switch from the most are pre-business and nursing, Owens said. Many students don’t like taking the many credit hours nursing requires.

“Once they get into the actual course work they may see that taking 17 hours each semester freshmen year as a nursing student wasn’t what they were expecting,” Owens said.

Students who are unsure of their major need to pin it down sooner rather than later, Owens said.

“You’ll see in a lot of undecided students, they want to go to college but they don’t know why and they know they need to have a degree but don’t know in what,” he said.

Freshman Hannah Snider was undecided when she arrived at Ball State, but was interested in travel tourism. She did some research and interviews after arriving on campus to learn more about the program.

“I had an interview with the head of the department and it didn’t sound like something I wanted to do,” Snider said. “It is not really what I thought it was.”

Snider said she is looking for a career that will take her to different parts of the world and experience different cultures. After doing research and talking to professors, she decided to major in anthropology with a focus in archaeology.

Freshmen who are undecided should take time to research and understand what they want to study, Snider said. Students need to think about their intended career and what they hope to accomplish in life.

“Think about the main components of what you want to do, do a lot of research and see what kind of major would get you there or get you the closest there,” Snider said.