Colleges Against Cancer asks students to quit smoking

Ball State’s Colleges Against Cancer chapter is asking students to take a pledge to quit smoking and live a healthier life — one untouched by smoking-related diseases.

The group will be spreading awareness for all types of cancer Nov.19, but mostly lung cancer caused by smoking. It’s all part of a national initiative sponsored by the American Cancer Society called the Great American Smokeout that will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the University Green.

The event will serve up a touch of American culture with their advocacy — a grill out and hot dog eating contest. Treats and vegetarian options will be available as well, and all money raised will benefit the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life of Ball State University.

“We believe that the only smoke you should see on campus is grill smoke,” Kaitlyn Kelly, a member of Colleges Against Cancer, said.

Kelly’s goal isn’t unattainable. Ball State’s campus became tobacco free in 2013. However, her concerns about smoking aren’t unfounded.

College students might be smoking fewer cigarettes than before, but Americans between the ages of 18 and 25 still smoke the most out of any other age, according to the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

It’s this demographic that might benefit from the pledges and information available at the Great American Smokeout. The pledges are a paper that can be signed to commit to a tobacco-free life.