American Music Awards 2015 highlights

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF BILLBOARD.COM</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF BILLBOARD.COM

Singers Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor performed their song “Marvin Gaye” later in the evening. Their performance was noteworthy, but it was the ending that had everyone talking. Puth and Trainor initiated a full make-out session on stage that lasted for quite some time. E! News has reported that the kiss was planned and happened in rehearsals. Time will tell if that’s enough to stave off the relationship speculations.

The show was not all about music, however. Viewers had a chance to watch never-before-seen footage of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which opens in theaters Dec. 18. One of the stars from the franchise, actor Harrison Ford, appeared onstage following the scene showing. He introduced a cappella group Pentatonix, which performed classic scores from the movies complete with an orchestra.

The evening took a solemn turn with a Céline Dion tribute performance for those affected by the Paris terrorist attacks. She performed Edith Piaf’s “Hymne à L’Amour” in French as images of Paris were shown on a screen in the background.

Justin Bieber closed the show with a series of songs from his new album including an acoustic rendition of “What Do You Mean,” followed by a high tempo performance of “Where  Are U Now,” where Bieber showed off his dancing skills. He concluded his performance with “Sorry,” where he literally made it rain on stage.

One Direction took home the biggest award of the night for Artist of the Year, their second time winning this award. Rapper Nicki Minaj also took the stage a few times throughout the night to accept awards for her album “The Pink Print."