Ball State picked to finish last in MAC for 2nd consecutive season

<p>Head basketball coach James Whitford has added size and competition for next season.</p>

Head basketball coach James Whitford has added size and competition for next season.

MAC West Division Standing - (Points)

1 - Central Michigan (138)

2 - Toledo (110)

3 - Western Michigan (94)

4 - Eastern Michigan (71)

5 - Northern Illinois (37)

6 - Ball State (33)

Compared to last year, Ball State's total preseason vote total went up from 28 to 33, four points behind Northern Illinois. This is the second-worst Ball State has been ranked in the preseason since head coach James Whitford took over the job before the 2013-14 season.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals did not receive a single vote to win the MAC tournament come March.

Another area the media that voted decided to not include Ball State for back-to-back seasons was any players making the MAC West Preseason All-MAC Team.

The All-MAC West team consists of the following players: Chris Fowler, Sr., G, Central Michigan; John Simons, Sr., F, Central Michigan; Raven Lee, R-Jr., G, Eastern Michigan; Nathan Boothe, Sr., C, Toledo; and Connor Tava, Sr., F, Western Michigan.

With how young the Cardinals are, outside of veterans senior Bo Calhoun and junior Franko House who have been in Whitford's system for more than two years, it is not a surprise they are picked this low. 

The Cardinals have added some older talent via transfers coming into this season. Naiel Smith, Ryan Webber and Nate Wells all will look to make big impacts for Ball State. 

Smith and Webber are juniors who transferred from San Jacnito College and Youngstown State. Wells is a 7-foot-1 center who has one year of eligibility remaining after graduating from Bradley.

Akron and Central Michigan were predicted to finish atop the MAC East and West. The Zips received 132 points and 17 first place votes to runaway with division. Compared to last season, Central Michigan jumps up four spots and unanimously swept winning the West.

The Chippewas garnered 15 votes to win the conference tournament to earn an NCAA tournament birth. Akron finished with six votes, while Buffalo and Kent State each received one.

Ball State's season kicks off Nov. 13 at Bradley, Wells' former school.