Senior Darnell Smith redshirted for remainder of season

Junior defensive tackle Darnell Smith reacts to a play during the game against Western Michigan on Oct. 11 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State football will officially not have senior defensive tackle Darnell Smith back in the lineup for the rest of the season. It has been announced that the senior defensive tackle will be redshirted this season.

During the Oct. 27 football press conference, head coach Pete Lembo announced that Smith will be redshirted to return next season. He also discussed how he was not pleased with how the defensive line performed against Central Michigan.

The Cardinals were looking to get Smith back from a knee injury as soon as next week, but now it looks like he may not play at all this season with the coaches going in a different direction.

“At this point, we feel like the best thing to do is to redshirt him and give him the opportunity to have the kind of senior year that he wants to have,” Lembo said.

If Smith were not redshirted, his senior year would effectively be ended. However, because they suspended his eligibility this season, it means he is eligible to play next season as a fifth-year senior.

It is not often that coaches will redshirt veteran players. Normally, they elect to redshirt freshmen so they get an extra year of growth and development, making this a special instance.

Smith will return next year alongside junior defensive end Joshua Posley and sophomore defensive lineman Anthony Winbush, both of whom gained an extra year of eligibility from redshirting. 

Winbush was disappointed when he heard the news, but knows they won't be losing much talent on the defensive line. 

"It was kind of heartbreaking," Winbush said. "But I know it’s going to be good having him back next year with me and [Posley] and some of the other guys returning."

Lembo met with Smith Oct. 26 to discuss where he was in his recovery and if he felt ready to come back. 

Smith has been a missing piece on the defensive side which has struggled this season. He was one of four defensive players to start every game for the Cardinals. 

“Obviously, we miss having him out there very much,” Lembo said. “But we don't want to throw him out there if he's not ready.”

The 2014 All-Mid-American Conference Third Team defensive lineman started in all 12 games last year for the Cardinals. He was tied for 13th in total tackles on the team with 37, fourth in sacks while forcing two fumbles. 

Prior to that, Smith played in 12 games his sophomore year and 11 in his freshman year, including an appearance in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl. 

In his absence, sophomore Kevin Willis has filled his role and has recorded 24 tackles, which ties for ninth on the team. Willis has also recorded a sack and a fumble recovery through eight games so far.

Lembo said redshirting Smith opens up academic opportunities for him as well.

“He was well on track to graduate in May, ... so now he can add some classes and then add a few classes in the fall and do some nice stuff academically,” Lembo said.