Ball State Stays Undefeated in MAC Play

<p>The Ball State soccer team is off to its best start to a season since 2006.</p>

The Ball State soccer team is off to its best start to a season since 2006.

Ball State soccer team is now 5-0 in Mid-American Conference play, the program’s best start ever.

The Cardinals (9-2-2, 5-0 MAC) beat Kent State 3-0, scoring all three goals in the last 20 minutes of play. Ball State tied the series record at 9-9-2 winning the last three match ups against the Golden Eagles, all were shutouts. 

The game was without a regulation score until senior Chelsy Swackhamer entered the game in the 70th minute, she only played eight minutes due to an injury she suffered during last weekends matches.

It didn't take long for Swackhamer to score. The ball bounced around the box then freshman Kelcy Fiser got the assist as Swackhamer beat the goalie to the top right post for her fifth goal on the season.

“She has an eye for the goal,” head coach Craig Roberts said. “We can’t rely on one individual. Anyone from the bench can come up and make a difference.”

Freshman Abbie Boswell took over from there. She dribbled toward the goal and ripped a liner from the top of the box she would then score again four minutes later. 

“I just went for it,” said Boswell. “Those are the goals that win games and when you don't take them it can cost you.”

Boswell’s two goals gave her seven for the season. Tying the freshman single season scoring record with Dee Nocero (2001), Emily Rein (2007) and Jasmine Moses (2011). It was her second two-goal game of the year.

Ball State’s goalie Alyssa Heintschel had a relaxed day. The defense gave up just four shots to a Kent State  team that scored seven goals in their last match and average 2.25 goals per game. Heintschel has yet to give up a goal to Kent State in her career.

The Cardinals extended their win streak to six games. They also gave head coach Craig Roberts on his birthday.

The Cardinals will look to continue the streak when they host Ohio (4-7, 2-2 MAC) Sunday Oct. 11 at 2p.m. at the Briner Sports Complex.