Senators ask students what SGA can do for them

SGA surveyed students on campus as part of their Blitz Week, which helps promote the organization. Student senators spoke with students to see what SGA can do for them.

Asking questions such as “What do you think of SGA?”, “What do you think SGA should do?” and “What can be improved on campus?”, the senators paired off and spread through campus. Some students didn’t know what SGA was, while others said the organization was only visible during elections.

“I feel like [SGA is] an entity with no face most times,” said Tinisi Tidoe, a junior exercise science major.

Requests for more parking were also brought up, as well as easier parking access. Some students asked for improvements to Muncie streets, saying they take away from the appearance of campus. Other students expressed concerns regarding dining and getting better food into the dining halls.

“[After hearing the concerns] I definitely want to look into bringing fresh produce onto campus because it’s something I’ve thought about but never knew was as big of an issue until today,” said SGA senator Bailey Loughlin, a junior hospitality and food management major.

Some students who were approached by SGA senators said they appreciated how the organization was taking time to hear the student body’s concerns.

“I don’t like when people sit back and still try to fix things,” said Drew Crowe, a junior aquatics major. “This is cool that they’re trying to be active and serve people.”

SGA President Pro-Tempore Rachel Johnson said the idea of canvassing campus was introduced last year when she was the Blitz Week committee chair. She said SGA wants to be more transparent and engage with students more, so she worked hard to turn that idea into an event.

“I feel like, especially with Senate, we’re really closed off,” Johnson said. “So we thought of the idea of going out and doing a survey.”

In addition to asking students questions about SGA, senators also asked about the issue of carbon emissions and testing for sexually transmitted infections. Johnson said SGA is looking at whether students agree with the administration’s decision to reduce carbon emissions, as well as their opinions on finding a way for STI testing to be funded for victims of sexual assault.

Most senators found the day beneficial because of the ideas they received from students. Loughlin said it's a good way for SGA to hear to what students need. 

“I definitely think [canvassing campus] helps, because we say we help the student body, so going out and talking to students puts that into action,” Loughlin said.